Thursday, January 12, 2012

Karamel Cake



After almost 20 years, I have managed to bake one of my favourite dessert and pastry, a caramel cake.

It was during Christmas, when everyone was busying making dessert for the festival, I was too excited to try the recipe after watching the TLC and AFC cooking program in Astro. There was a story behind this lovely and delicious delicacy.

It started about twenty years ago when I first saw the cake during my wedding. The cake became one of the 'hantaran' or dowry from my groom. It was baked by my sister in law. She also baked a fondant cheece cake.

Later, after the ceremony, my husband and I had a chance to taste the caramel cake. My mother, my sisters and aunts were enjoying the cake. We were talking about the cake for the whole week. It was in the mid 80's. The caramel and the fondant cake were rarely found in the market, especially here in Malaysia. I keep thinking about how creative my sister and my mother in law were. During those days,we thought of having difficulties in making an 'exclusive, and royalty type cakes like the caramel and fondant cakes. Not many cake lovers could bake.

All the thoughts and memories have been revealed when one day I was surprised to see the caramel cake in the cooking program in tv. I told my husband how I extremely wish to bake the cake one day.

Finally, a caramel cake with 5cm height was managed to be cooked. I purposely heat the sugar and the water longer to get the bitter taste of the caramel. Despite of not having lemon skins added in the mixture, I used some honey sauce instead.

(I gave the first slice to my hubby who has not tasted the caramel cake for the last 24 years - imagine how happy he is)



'Al Fatihah to my late mother in law. Thank you for your support and encouragement in the world of cooking. She was indeed the MASTER CHEF during her time'.....

No comments:

KELAS MATEMATIK ONLINE

  KELAS MATEMATIK ONLINE Ibu Bapa & Pelajar, Kelas telah bermula, hantar permohonan dan mendaftar semula sekarang. Kelas Matematik Onl...